Friday, June 27, 2014

Idylls of the King - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Idylls of the King (Tennyson, 1885)

Taking Malory and others as his source, Tennyson crafts an epic series of poems in blank verse that capture grand ideals and regal melancholy. Using the hypnotic sway of his seemingly effortless marching meter, he gracefully retells and reshapes the stories into a less mystical, more realistic adaptation that focuses on the characters rather than the deeds.

Greater minds than mine have analyzed Tennyson's poetic talent, so I will restrict my stylistic comments to this - the poems have a natural ebb and flow, differing only in rhythm from prose narrative one minute, bursting forth in song at emotional moments the next.  Take this moment when Enid stands bravely against a thug who, assuming her husband Geraint is dead, is trying to take her for himself:

"In this poor gown my dear lord found me first,
And loved me serving in my father's hall;
In this poor gown I rode with him to court,
And there the Queen array'd me like the sun;
In this poor gown he bade me clothe myself,
When now we rode upon this fatal quest
Of honor, where no honor can be gain'd;
And this poor gown I will not cast aside
Until himself arise a living man,
And bid me cast it. I have griefs enough;
Pray you be gentle, pray you let me be.
I never loved, can never love but him.
Yea, God, I pray you of your gentleness,
He being as he is, to let me be."

The current carries the reader along in a unique way, with an intentionality of syllable and sound that marks these tales as epic poetry while still allowing them to be read almost as a novel.

Indeed, the narrative virtues here should not be overlooked, as Tennyson interweaves several subtle and intelligent symbols, themes, and plot elements worthy of the best Victorian novelist. The nuances of the characters, the masterfully shifting tone, and the placement of action weave the tales together into a work of maturity and purpose. In part an elegy for his own England, Tennyson idealizes the court of Arthur without white-washing its sins. Optimistic stories like Gareth and Lynette and Geraint and Enid gradually give way before the poignant tragedy of Lancelot and Elaine or the King Lear-like dissolution of The Last Tournament. Tennyson shows us hearts blooming into love fulfilled and dying with love disappointed.

Arbitrary rating: 4.5 out of 5 subtle and intelligent symbols

No comments:

Post a Comment